These coins were struck at several French mints with the intent that they would serve domestic purposes as well as alleviate the coin shortage in New France (Canada). They were made of a lightweight silver alloy (billon) consisting of 25% silver and 75% copper with a silver wash on the surface. The obverse displays a crowned L, for Louis XV with the fleur le lys to either side and below. The obverse legend translates as, "Louis XV by the grace of God King of France and Navarre." The reverse shows a crown above a branchwork design that forms the letter L intersected with a branch through the center. The legend translates as: "Blessed is the name of the Lord."

Large shipments of these coins were made to New France up to 1760. The coin was worth 24 deniers or 2 sols. They were referred to as "double sols" or "sou marques." Coins that circulated in the West Indies tended to darken from the extreme humidity. They became known there as "black dogs." The "sou marques" would continue to circulate in Canada and the New England colonies for some time after the British conquest of Canada in 1759.